Thursday, May 12, 2005

untimely deaths all around

Last night, I saw a sneak preview of Malfunkshun, a documentary profiling Andrew Wood, a pioneer of the pre-grunge Seattle scene who died of a heroin overdose at the age of 24. Keep an eye out for it in your local theatres. In the meantime, you can check out Malfunkshun's Return to Olympus, Mother Love Bone's Apple, or the Wood tributes on Temple of the Dog.

When we returned home, my roommate and I discovered that the bird who had been taunting her cat for weeks in the backyard had been killed and left as a gift for us on the livingroom carpet. The horrifying part was that we walked by it for about an hour, thinking it was a cat toy.

R.I.P.

Later: Upon discovering the cat lying in wait for another bird earlier today (taste for blood and all that), I found myself scolding her, "Don't kill!"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ms. Plisken:

In addition to those three, I suggest the Deep Six compilation (C/Z Records 1984, A&M 1994). Songs by Green River, Malfunkshun, The Melvins, Skin Yard, Soundgarden, and U-Men -- the start of the Seattle "grunge" sound -- and 2 great Malfunkshun song, including the immortal "With Yo' Heart (Not Yo' Hands)". Loved that song, still do.

The Melvins tracks are good too, and these are the first Soundgarden recordings. Too bad the record fails to capture the glory of the U-Men and Green River at the time.

Let me say, Deep Six is better than Return to Olympus, and Temple of the Dog. But Mother Love Bone's recordings are a different thing entirely: "Just take me to the stage/This is Shangri-la ha ha"

Anonymous said...

uh, that comp came out Fall of 1985, definitely not 1984.

escapegrace said...

I like the title of the immortal Malfunkshun song. Jack Endino of Skin Yard was interviewed a bit in the documentary and talked about the making of this compilation. He lists all the bands except one, and says, "Uh...I'm forgetting one. Ummm...oh yeah, Soundgarden." It was pretty funny.