Monday, May 16, 2005

can gus pull it off?

Gus Van Sant's fictionalization of the Last Days of Kurt Cobain premiered at Cannes on Friday. Although the main character is named Blake, Van Sant does not deny the story was inspired by Cobain's death in 1994.

Blake is played by Michael Pitt, who is listed on IMDb as appearing in a 2004 Asia Argento-helmed film version of JT Leroy's The Heart Is Deceitful Above All Things, an author with whom Pitt is listed as being good friends. (I'll have to tell my actor friends to list me as their friend on IMDb.) The question is: did I miss this Argento film? (She's also in Last Days, along with an ageless Kim Gordon and Harmony Korine.) I can't imagine I wouldn't notice its release. Or is it buried in a vault somewhere next to Fiona Apple's album?

Speaking of Cannes, apparently a number of Bush-themed films are up for the Palme d'Or. I'd put my money on La Whorisma di Bushi.

No comments: