Thursday, May 19, 2005

this week's netflix

Enduring Love: I was quite sad to discover that they took one of my favorite novels, a rich psychological study of how a couple navigates the aftermath of a tragedy, and turned it into a slasher flick. Even with a powerhouse cast, including Daniel Craig, Samantha Morton, and Rhys Ifans, it couldn't be saved. At least they did a decent job with the balloon scene...

Birth: Despite the bad reviews (and the critics' prurient reactions to what is a fairly harmless bathtub scene), I enjoyed the performances and the original subject matter. There was something of a European feel to it that I also liked.

Deadwood, Season 1, Episodes 8-10: That Al Swearengen is steamy enough to turn me to whorin'.

2 comments:

escapegrace said...

Dreamin' time is over, Dicker.

Anonymous said...

What! A Samantha Morton movie I haven't seen? And it's not very good is it. Sigh. When is she going to be good again...