Wednesday, May 25, 2005

kick them in the belly

I'm currently reading a book by Ludwig Bemelmans, the possibly unstable Austrian author of the Madeline children's books who was shipped to America at 16 after he shot a headwaiter. He then lost another job because he showed up wearing one white shoe and one yellow shoe, and he was shipped off to the Army. (Yellow shoes?) The novel that takes place in L.A. is called Dirty Eddie, the title character being a pig that shoots to stardom. It's actually not as bad as it sounds, but the best part about the research was coming across this plan for my dissertation when it's done:

I don't keep any copy of my books around... they would embarass me. When I finish writing my books, I kick them in the belly, and have done with them. - Ludwig Bemelmans

No comments: