Monday, August 22, 2005

sunday with scout and shellac

The Echo is my new favorite venue in L.A. (I still love you, BB) and I hereby declare I will live in Echo Park someday soon. I first went to The Echo a couple of weeks ago to see Neva Dinova and Mayday. Richard Swift was supposed to be there as well that day, but he was mysteriously absent.

Yesterday afternoon, I ventured out to see Scout Niblett opening for Shellac. I was there primarily for Scout Niblett who played some old favorites from I Am and Sweet Heart Fever and some great new songs from Kidnapped by Neptune.

Have a listen to her song "Drummer Boy" or her cover of the 1978 hit "Uptown Top Ranking" by Althia & Donna. As far as I can tell, there are no downloads out there from the new album.

Steve Albini, überproducer and Big Black founder, engineered Scout Niblett's latest, so it's no suprise they were on the same bill. Shellac rocks. They made me think I would be a hell of a lot more relaxed if I just listened to really loud music for a couple hours every day. The audience was mostly male, and it was pretty amusing to see all the boys bang their heads in unison when Shellac played "Prayer to God" from their 2000 release 1000 Hurts.

Shellac is Steve Albini on guitar/vocals, the hilarious Todd Trainer on drums, and Bob Weston on bass. Have a listen to "Watch Song" from 1000 Hurts. I believe their next album will be out soon since they joked about distributing it shrinkwrapped to a 60-foot styrofoam canoe.

By the end of the show, I was pleasantly exhausted and my friend & I decided we had entered the state of being known as "shellacked." Epitonic has mp3s from Shellac and Scout Niblett.
-

No comments: