Friday, March 11, 2005

palm americana

I was recently forced to buy a new Palm Pilot. I'm going through them at a rate I used to go through portable cassette players as a young chit. Not quite, but it felt that way when I had to buy a third Palm in about as many years. The other night, I was checking out the new features and discovered Palm Reader, pre-loaded with two novels already: James Fenimore Cooper's The Last of the Mohicans and L. Frank Baum's The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. I am intrigued by the executive decision that decided on these two titles, together. Of all the books that could be scanned and digitized into tiny letters on my tiny screen, why these? Were they the most reputable books that are now only watched as movies? If I buy a Palm Pilot in Amsterdam or Mumbai, what books do I get? Do they actually think I'm going to read The Last of the Mohicans this way when I probably wouldn't read it in book form? Puzzling...

No comments: