Friday, March 25, 2005

can't explain

In an earlier post, I mentioned calling an ambulance for an old man who was having a heart attack. I had been walking near Gramercy Park when I saw the man, probably in his 70s, trip on an uneven piece of sidewalk and fall down. I helped him up and he started complaining of chest pains. After he told me he had recently had a heart operation and the pain seemed to be getting worse, I finally convinced him to let me call an ambulance. By the time the EMTs arrived, he seemed more concerned with his broken watch and getting my phone number than the chest pains, but I was glad he was on the way to the hospital.

Well, I never heard from him, but I assumed all was well. Then this morning, outside my train station in Brooklyn(!), who do I see but the same man?! We had a joyous reunion at which he told me he was still not feeling great and I suggested he quit smoking. I've gone years and years in this city without running into any number of friends and acquaintances, and I find it quite odd that I saw this man again.

No comments: