Friday, April 01, 2005

safe, sound, and ungoverned in north carolina

Brooklyn > Charlotte

Stats:
Miles: 637.62
Hours: 10.5
States: New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina

At a going away party a few weeks ago for some friends who are lucky enough to be spending over a month in India, this guy told me that all rental trucks come with something called a "governor" that doesn't allow you to drive over 65. This has concerned me ever since. Aside from my tendency to indulge my speed demons, I was worried that I wouldn't be able to accelerate to avoid an accident or other mishap. Have no fear: I can go at least 85. Considering the speed limit is 70 in some parts of the eastern seabord, it now seems like it would have been an improbable limitation.

After some help from a very nice friend at the crack of dawn, I finished loading everything in the truck and was on the road by 8. It was incredibly overcast until somewhere in New Jersey when I put on my new theme song, Neko Case's version of "Let It Shine." ("This little light of mine/I'm going to let it shine/Every day, every day, every day.") Within minutes, the sun appeared to guide me all the way to North Carolina where it rained just a little. I checked in to my hotel where they have high-speed Internet in the room, so here I am, speedier in all ways. Despite some rather intimidating clunking from the back of the truck, everything's still in one piece. Photos below...

No comments: