Wednesday, April 20, 2005

don't need you

I took myself out on a date tonight to see riot grrrl documentary Don't Need You. It was a 40-minute chronicle of the energy and personalities that inspired the movement in the Northwest, complete with some of the exclusion issues and media problems that led to its demise. The archival footage was excellent. The film was playing at new-to-me theater The Arclight, which was built on to old favorite, the Cinerama Dome. I had heard that not only were you guaranteed assigned seats, but that you could also pick up a cocktail at the bar and drink it while you watched the movie! Except for the cocktail part, it was all true! I would have to say tonight's screening was more of an event than a casual movie run. For one, director Kerri Koch and Sharon Cheslow were in attendance for a post-doc Q&A. Then afterwards, for the same $10 that got you into the movie, there was an open bar and passed hors d'oeuvres in the courtyard, and LA band Mika Miko played alongside some DJs from Amoeba Records. Not too shabby. I think I'll go out with me again sometime.

No comments: