Wednesday, April 20, 2005

say what? or questioning the future of my field, part 2

I came across this excerpt while looking at some recent calls for papers and I think I can say this is the most obtuse thing I've ever read. I fancy myself to have some learnin' but after multiple attempts, I can still not make heads nor tails of it:

Essays should address cultural representations of experience that are not amenable to metaphors of return, advent, or re-collection. Numerous attempts have been made to characterize the modes of intelligent experience. These have included efforts to locate conceptual apparatus that underlie apperception, metaphors that lend narrative meaning to experience, or socio-cultural structures that enable the detection of historical significance, to name a few. But such conceptualizations often end up revealing amessianism or other teleology subtending the human experience of history. Work remains to be pursued on the sense, knowledge, or experience of irreversibility.

Huh?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"amessianism" ?

Is this Adorno's fault?

Since I don't understand this, I'm worried I might also "subten[d] the human experience of history".

On the other hand, I can agree that more needs to be done to understand irreversibility. But I don't know why.