Wednesday, August 09, 2006

52 books in 52 weeks

16. The Accidental by Ali Smith

If William Faulkner and Ian McEwan birthed a daughter who wrote a novel, it would be The Accidental. This is the first book in a long time that I felt I should read a second time.

17. The Brooklyn Follies by Paul Auster

Aside from some exposition on American literature, this novel is barely recognizable as an Auster offering. It is, however, very charming and humane, with characters that you miss when they're gone.

18. Arthur & George by Julian Barnes

This book took forever to read. In the end, I'd have to say it's much too dry, even if (because?) the story told does outline an important reform in British legal history largely inspired by the efforts of Arthur Conan Doyle.

19. The Consolations of Philosophy by Alain de Botton

I want to marry Alain de Botton. His brand of philosophy-lite is just what the doctor ordered and it works magic.

Mere hours after beginning the book and realizing I wanted to spend more time with philosophy, I was offered an Intro to Philosophy class to teach. See? Magic.

19 down, 33 to go.
-

No comments: