Wednesday, February 28, 2007

kafka works at miscrosoft

Twice now, since switching my Hotmail account over to the new "Live Mail" platform, I have made the foolish, foolish decision of trying to contact MSN Support via e-mail to get a bug fixed. (It's not that important what the bugs were, but I'll mention them just to demonstrate that they were fairly simple problems to understand. I could not consistently send active links that remained active when received, and I couldn't scroll down and select an item from a dropdown menu that was not immediately visible when the menu opened. Once I scrolled down, I lost the ability to select. This second problem has been fixed since I first reported it, but my communication certainly had nothing to do with it.)

The way "Live Mail" e-mail support "works" (and I use that word oh so very loosely) is that you submit your question and invariably you are contacted by someone who has misunderstood your issue (regardless of how clearly it may have been articulated). So you write back and say, "Oh, thank you, but I meant blah blah blah." Then you are contacted by someone else - they always introduce themselves as if they will be your own personal assistant from this point forward - and they have misunderstood your question even more absurdly. So you get a little cranky with them and you say, "Noooooo, I meant blah." Then a third person contacts you who either repeats what the first person said or further mangles your question. From what I can tell, this will continue indefinitely for the rest of your life if you don't decide to live with the original problem.

I can't believe I went back for more after the drop down menu fiasco, but I thought I had worked out all my frustration on this "customer service" survey they had sent me not long after the first encounter. I also felt that my issue - when I send active links, the recipient does not always receive them as active - was simple enough. Really. Is there a more explicit way to state that? Is my use of the language so rusty and archaic that I cannot make myself understood? So far, three MSN folks have written telling me some variation of how to change my junk mail settings so I can read hyperlinks when they are sent to me. I have asked to communicate with a supervisor. I want Franz himself; I'll settle for Gates in a pinch.

No comments: