Monday, May 15, 2006

you leave me no choice

Back in the day, I attended Boston College for a bachelor's degree in political science, and I've since held a grudge against the university, specifically its English department chair. When I asked to pay them to take one summer course that would qualify me for a double major in English because I planned to pursue graduate work in English (resulting in my recent Ph.D.), the chair basically said she wasn't going to fall for my ploy to raise my hardly shabby GPA - because we all know how much one course can cause your GPA to skyrocket.

So I've always wondered how exactly Steve Almond fit in there. Apparently, not that well. He has just resigned his teaching position following the university's announcement of Condoleeza Rice as the commencement speaker.

Many members of the faculty and student body already have voiced their objection to the invitation, arguing that Rice's actions as secretary of state are inconsistent with the broader humanistic values of the university and the Catholic and Jesuit traditions from which those values derive.

But I am not writing this letter simply because of an objection to the war against Iraq. My concern is more fundamental. Simply put, Rice is a liar.

She has lied to the American people knowingly, repeatedly, often extravagantly over the past five years, in an effort to justify a pathologically misguided foreign policy.

Via Bookslut