Wednesday, September 14, 2005

it's all about expectations management

Richard Nash of Soft Skull Press introduces this live e-panel of first time authors.

Ron Hogan (The Stewardess is Flying the Plane: American Films of the 1970s): I owe all my successes to my willingness to go drinking with any industry professional at any time. Editors, agents, other writers, you name it.

Felicia Sullivan (We Don't Live Here Anymore): Good writing gets noticed regardless of where you live. I actually think it's better not to live in New York – sometimes I find it's difficult to focus on the writing, the work, when most folks talk about the business of writing (agents, book deals, numbers, etc).

Marcy Dermansky (Twins): I have some readers who will only tell me my work is great. I don't believe them. But I also rely on them.

Benjamin Percy (The Language of Elk): My magic 8-ball has also come in handy.
-
Brad Listi (Attention. Deficit. Disorder.): Sometimes the six-figure advance can be a kiss of death.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There was also author Brad Listi - Attention. Defecit. Disorder.

Also, Richard Nash just wrote the introduction for the panel after reading the transcript - he didn't moderate it.

escapegrace said...

My apologies to Mr. Listi. I hadn't realized he was the only author I left out.