Thursday, July 14, 2005

they just want to go to a party with karen O

I've been toying with the idea of writing about the songs I post here at Escapegrace, but I've been stymied by my discomfort with the lexicon of rock criticism (even with some help). Now, Jason Cherkis has published a big Shame Shame for all the lit folks who think just because they can write, they can write about music. Somewhere Rick Moody is licking his wounds.

Moody’s lines slap at you like annoying, wet children blubbering for attention. You can swat kids away. But you can’t get rid of Moody’s rockist clichés so easily; they’re so rampant as to suggest a fetish.
-

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would like to go "on the record" and declare my hatred for Rick Moody's writing. Though he did write me a nice letter once when I was sixteen years old.