Monday, December 31, 2007

my oh my best of 2007

I feel they're going to take away my blog if I don't put up some kind of end-of-the-year list, so as arbitrary as they may be, these are a few of my favorite things.

Best LA Radio Show Worth Getting Up at 9AM on a Sunday:
Chris Morris, Watusi Rodeo (103.1)

Best New Neighbor: The Echo Park Time Travel Mart

Best Blog for Head-Nodding Agreement: Jezebel

Best Neighborhood Restaurant: Cliff's Edge

Best Greatest Hits Compilation I Wasn't Embarrassed to Buy:
Led Zeppelin, Mothership

Best Magazine That I Subscribed to This Year in a Regrettable Magazine Subscription Binge: BUST

Best Book of the Year (If Not the Century):
Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Best Daily E-mail: Very Short List

Best Live Show of the Year (That I Personally Saw): Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings @ El Rey (Honorable Mention: Beastie Boys @ The Greek Theater; Neko Case @ Walt Disney Concert Hall; Langhorne Slim @ Spaceland; Lucinda Williams @ El Rey)

Best Song to Sing Loudly into a Hairbrush: Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings, "Let Them Knock"

Best Chill Restaurant Downtown: Royal Claytons

Best Coffee: My New Bialetti Mukka Express; Coffee Table (Silverlake) (tie)

Best Named Building on My Commute:
Women's Twentieth Century Club (Eagle Rock)

Best Onion Headline: Pitchfork Gives Music 6.8

Best Duets: Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova; Robert Plant & Alison Krauss (tie)

Best Parlour Game: Fortunes Chinoises

Best Annual LA Event of the Year:
Los Angeles Times Festival of Books; Sunset Junction; Culver City Art Walk (tie)

Best Protest Song: Pink, "Dear Mr. President"

Best Source for Repeatable One-liners: 30 Rock

Best Scene in the Best Film of the Year: Dog chases Josh Brolin through the water in No Country for Old Men

No comments: