Saturday, December 30, 2006

this week's netflix

And it is with this post that we bid adieu to the recurring "this week's netflix" series. It's been a good two years, but apparently life really interferes with one's DVD watching.

Carrie: Yes, the original Brian DePalma version, and yes, I'd never seen it before. As I'm sure you know, it's thoroughly enjoyable and fairly horrific (especially the shower scene in the beginning). Aside from wondering why there aren't more actresses like Sissy Spacek these days - vulnerable and sympathetic but creepy at the same time - I mostly wondered what Hollywood was like in 1976 to lead to a movie like this garnering two Oscar nominations. Fun, I'd think.

The Notorious Bettie Page: As a big fan of Mary Harron and Bettie Page, my expectations for this film were probably too high. Although if I were asked, I couldn’t tell you what I was expecting exactly, but probably not to be sort of bored. I did enjoy the art direction and general atmosphere of the film and I wouldn’t not recommend it.

Loverboy: You know, I really wish Kevin Bacon and Kyra Sedgwick well. I want them to make movies that are compelling but not icky. I want them to find a vehicle that showcases Kyra’s acting ability. I want them to find stories that match the mood Kevin wants to use. I want them to partner with an excellent composer for the score. I have hope this will happen one day, but not today.

The Devil and Daniel Johnston: There is hardly a false move in this documentary about the life of musician/artist Daniel Johnston who has had a lifetime struggle with mental illness – a struggle that he loses more often than he wins. Great footage, great interviews, great narrative arc.

Art School Confidential and Clerks II: Is it a grab for cash, a misguided sense of infallibility, or an indication that we are all human and liable to f*ck up on occasion? While Art School Confidential was far superior to Clerks II, both films were low points for their directors. After Crumb and Ghost World, I was willing to believe Terry Zwigoff could do no wrong, but ASC is disappointing on many levels: the casting, pacing, and tone all seemed way off. Clerks II is just a sad excuse for a Kevin Smith film. I can watch Dogma over and over again, but you couldn’t pay me to sit through this a second time.

The Dying Gaul: How could a film with such a great premise and cast go so wrong? The story didn’t even make sense. Boo.

Joyeux Noël (Merry Christmas): This is the Christmas movie for people who hate Christmas movies (such as myself). The first half hour – as the World War I setting is established – is a tad slow, but once Christmas Eve arrives, oh boy. Without spoiling anything, let me just say that when you hear the first strains of “O Come All Ye Faithful,” I challenge you not to cry your eyes out if you haven’t already started. The fact that the film is based on a true story makes it all the better.

No comments: