Wednesday, December 27, 2006

32 books in 52 weeks

27. Philosophy: The Power of Ideas by Moore & Bruder

Part of the reason I didn't read more books of choice was that I was teaching philosophy with this text whose tagline should read "From Plato to Derrida in three weeks!"

28. The Death of the Heart by Elizabeth Bowen

This domestic novel is a lovely little time capsule from an era when people of means walked around discussing the dawning lack of meaning in their lives without quite admitting their involvement. Superb dialogue.

29. Everyman by Philip Roth

I suppose this book might have been touching if I were an aged white man with a fairly selfish past.


30. Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl

Despite Pessl delivering one of the most annoying Q&A sessions I've ever attended, I gave this book a shot. It wasn't as bad as the reading, and with an actual editor, it might have even been great. It wasn't though.

31. When Things Fall Apart by Pema Chödrön

You don't have to need "heart advice for difficult times" to appreciate the wisdom practically dripping off the pages of this book.


32. The Dissident by Nell Freudenberger

The characterization in this novel is really its main strength. The story is decent, but it's the actors who keep the reader's interest.


Well, 32 isn't 52, but I predict that next year I shall be triumphant.
-

No comments: