Friday, November 24, 2006

mix post: the mix post is not dead edition

After a crazy long hibernation, the mix post returns. Since the last outing marked the beginning of the year, it's only fitting this should mark the end. As much as I rankle at premature wrap-ups, I doubt I'll get around to another mix post before 2007, so hear ye, hear ye. These are a few of my favorite songs of the year. Released in 2006? Some. I don't know. It doesn't matter. This is about me.

Blue Veins - The Raconteurs @ KCRW & YouTube
I bought this album on a lark, and damn, if I'm not wearing it out already. This song is one of my favorites among many.

Could We - Cat Power @ rbally
The selection of this song is fairly random, because it's really the entire album that I love. My tickets to the Orpheum show tomorrow night glow with promise.

Diablo Rojo - Rodrigo y Gabriela @ MySpace & YouTube
If you had told me that I would have a thing this year for thrash metal-influenced flamenco guitar, I would have thought you were nuts. I would have been wrong.

Dimension - Wolfmother @ Veritas Lux Mea
This fills a deep arena rock need in me for which I will not be ashamed.

I Don't Feel Like Dancin' - Scissor Sisters @ Lost in Your Inbox & YouTube
Oh, but I do.

I'll Sing a Love Song to You - Candi Staton @ ortf
This is only one great song from the best contemporary soul album out there.

I Wish I Had an Evil Twin - Magnetic Fields @ Heartache with Hard Work
Stephen Merritt has certain moments of sheer genius and this is one of them.

Love Is Stronger Than Death - Angela McCluskey
You'll have to buy the album to hear her cover of this The The song, but you can hear the original here.

Sap - Freakwater
Sadly, there are no songs readily available from the latest album, including this song that breaks my heart every time, but WFMU does have this excellent cover of "War Pigs" instead.

Such a Lovely Thing - DeVotchka @ MySpace
The tuba, the fiddle, the slurred gypsy inflection...I can't get enough.

Think About the Good Times - Baby Washington @ WFMU's Beware of the Blog
A song has never been so happy and so sad at the same time.

Walking with a Ghost - The White Stripes @ La Blogotheque
This Tegan & Sara cover isn't necessarily special, but it gets to me.

Wolf Like Me - TV on the Radio @ Both Sides of the Mouth & YouTube
I can tell if this song is playing within a one mile radius by the way my head and hips are moving.
-

No comments: