Monday, October 09, 2006

52 books in 52 weeks

23. Saturday by Ian McEwan

I don't know why I let bitter critics turn me off any novel by Ian McEwan. His books are always gripping, even if they are slightly reminiscent of previous offerings.


24. The Dead Fish Museum by Charles D'Ambrosio

D'Ambrosio is a proficient storyteller whose style and subject matter vary, but I just wasn't feeling him.



25. Against Love by Laura Kipnis

Laura Kipnis is so very smart. She has more ideas per book than I'll have in my life. The adultery logic did not resonate with me half as much as the general oppression of coupledom in today's culture.

26. Great Jones Street by Don DeLillo

At one point, a character tells the narrator, "By the end you were making incredible amounts of noise and communicating absolutely nothing." That about sums it up.


26 down, 26 to go.
-

No comments: