Thursday, February 03, 2005

all that damn laughing

As if turning 35 and then reading Joyce Carol Oates's Middle Age weren't bad enough, I now qualify for anti-wrinkle cream focus groups. In the demoralizing entrance interview, I had to characterize whether I had "fine lines" or "deep wrinkles" and quantify the amount of "sagging" I was experiencing. (Fortunately, five minutes in the sun burns my Celtic cheeks to a crisp, so a lifetime of pastiness has me faring well for now.) Two weeks ago, I went to pick up the product I was to be testing (and, of course, the cool fitty in cash). For the past 14 days, I have struggled to find new ways to describe applying a thin lotion to my face. "Smooth" can only take you so far in the anti-wrinkle world. The day there was a slight burning sensation, I was delighted to have something novel to say. Now I'm off to have my fine lines examined for magical restoration. Wish me flawlessness.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

SKIN

Jasmin has flawless skin

I am so jealous!

Pale and perfect
With a faint golden sheen
Young skin--so rich so soft so moist

I am so envious!

Not one blemish:
No wrinles, pimples, zit, eruptions, beauty marks, scars

I wish I had that skin!

Skin, skin
God's final touch
Gift-wrapping his creation
Before Adams's dazzled eyes

Why can't I have that skin?

Admiring flies come to ski on it
Water drops glide down happily
Eager fingers want to write
Promises and lies on it
It is destined for Love

I want to trade!

I yearn to be
superficial and only skin deep.


Ellie's Dad