Saturday, September 09, 2006

52 books in 52 weeks

20. The Third Policeman by Flann O'Brien

It's quite surprising to me that I had to come to this remarkable book - reminiscent of Beckett, Gogol, and Sterne - through an episode of Lost. It is ripe for academic probing.

21. Oblivion by David Foster Wallace

DFW's last short story collection left me cold. Occasionally, there were interesting ideas, but some stories were so obtuse as to be unreadable. As a lover of his previous collections, I was sorely disappointed.

22. There Will Never Be Another You by Carolyn See

As if Golden Days had matured into an even more prescient narrative, See's latest tells a straightforward, engaging story of living with (rather than giving in to) apocalypse.

22 down, 30 more to go. I better start reading shorter books.
-

No comments: