Saturday, June 17, 2006

52 books in 52 weeks

12. Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life by Amy Krouse Rosenthal

The structure of this book is enviable (reminiscent of the Eastern European ABC genre), but one wishes Rosenthal's life were a little less ordinary.


13. Desperate Characters by Paula Fox

It's nice to see that women were partaking in this mid-century doom and gloom school. Fox's work holds up nicely next to Richard Yates and Brian Moore.


14. Indecision by Benjamin Kunkel

The most appropriate review I can think to give this book is that I look forward to Kunkel's sophomore effort. There are some promising elements here, but there is also much that annoys.


15. This Is a Voice from Your Past by Merrill Joan Gerber

After seeing Gerber at the Festival of Books, I've been meaning to find this collection. I don't know whether the stories were just too dated or old-fashioned for me, but I preferred hearing the author talk about writing.

15 down, 37 to go.
-

No comments: