Tuesday, September 04, 2007

I'm free to do what I want any old time

I'm sure every blogger hopes that if they are unable for some reason to keep up their normal posting pace, people will notice. In many cases, this is probably unlikely, but on the off chance you've been wondering why my posts of late have been, frankly, so lame, I will now explain.

I've been working a job for the past two years that did serve a purpose at one time - I was able to complete my dissertation and I made a few lovely friends - however that time had come and gone. I was languishing in complete boredom and lack of productivity and no one even seemed to notice. This state of affairs was not helped by the fact that when my student loans kicked in, my once comfortable salary had become insufficient. I applied to similar jobs. I applied to jobs in slightly different fields. I had no luck, including one harrowing episode in which the Getty broke my heart. All the while, I was convincing myself and others that a life of teaching and writing would never work out. No, no, no, I would say, it won't work out. If I can't pay my bills with a steady administrator's paycheck, how on earth will I make it freestyle?

Well, apparently, as with many aspects of my life, I was completely wrong. My last day at that job was Friday. The details are still being ironed out, but it appears that with little change to my financial situation, I will be engaged in nothing but occupations that please me with more than twice as much free time - to publish my dissertation, to return to fiction (finally!), to pursue several pleasurable get-rich quick schemes, to feed any and all creative urges, and to hopefully breathe new life into this blog and the other one. As someone who needs to always know what's going to happen next and plan for it extensively, this has not been an easy decision to make. I'm sure there are many challenges ahead, but as Pema Chodron describes it, I will lean into the sharp points. With grace, if possible. With humor, if not.

In other words, I am now available for imaginative projects, literary and otherwise, so please keep me in mind.