Monday, June 04, 2007

scenes from the culver city art walk

Probably my third favorite annual event (after the Festival of Books and Sunset Junction) is the Culver City Art Walk, which took place on Saturday.

Each year, I see more art that I would actually want to purchase and display in my home than anywhere else I encounter art. I had two favorite exhibits this year. BLK/MRKT (a gallery that also ran one of last year's standout exhibits from Tara McPherson) devoted their space to Mike Stilkey's "Horse Stories":

Of course, any art that incorporates books is bound to please me (no pun intended).

My other favorite collection was Josh Dorman's incredible map collages at the George Billis Gallery. Photos really don't do them justice at all, but here is one titled "Oceana" - you can view more here.

Another exhibit of note at Taylor De Cordoba featured Timothy Hull's Soviet-influenced illustrations (click to view closer).

The top photo is from the Buff Monster installation at the Corey Helford Gallery.

Following the art walk was LACMA's afterparty at HD Buttercup, where they let us wander around drunk and play with the furniture. Good times.




Giant Drag played in what seemed to be a large discount room, while the audience lounged around on couch and chair configurations.

All in all, a lovely outing. Unfortunately, I can't post the photos of various posing hijinks that were gotten up to in HD Buttercup, but rest assured, they are incredibly silly.

No comments: