Tuesday, April 10, 2007

dedicated to ether

I wonder why people don't talk about Tim Fite more often. He's an engaging character from what I can tell. I first discovered him in what must have been his alt-country phase and listened to the song "All I Need" thousands of times. You can get a sense of the quirk from this odd introductory video:


His album Gone Ain't Gone has many other gems I've grown to love, but then what does Mr. Fite do? He releases a rap album - Over the Counter Culture - that you, yes you, can download for free. You can understand the transition listening to songs from Gone Ain't Gone like "No Good Here." Over the Counter Culture, however, dispenses with any pretense toward the pop and Fite goes for the whole ironic gangsta pose. Who can resist lyrics like this?

Robitussin/MochaMuffin/Ibuprofin/Rice-a-Roni/Stouffer-stuffin' Hamburger Helper/Sudafed/Bell Biv DeVoe/Soup of the Day/Kanye/Monistat 7/Soup of the Day/Kanye/Hamburger Helper/

Not me. Brooklyn Vegan has some great photos from a 2005 show at Joe's Pub.