- "The octopus was full of judgment." Unhappy Hipsters hilariously shows it's lonely in the modern world.
- Art Based on Infinite Jest
- At thesixtyone, new artists make music and listeners decide what's good. Ready?
- Sex Explained Graphically By Pens
- From Paste: 10 Best Songs About Libraries and Librarians
- Browse this Flickr set of passport photos of famous artists.
- Brilliant: How to Report the News
- Indiewire reports on the best and worst of Sundance.
- "First I stole a panda bear, then we drank malt liquor together." 10 Words You Need to Stop Misspelling
Sunday, January 31, 2010
Wednesday, January 27, 2010
J.D. Salinger has died at the age of 91.
Mr. Salinger...perfected the great trick of literary irony — of validating what you mean by saying less than, or even the opposite of, what you intend. Orville Prescott wrote in The New York Times in 1963, “Rarely if ever in literary history has a handful of stories aroused so much discussion, controversy, praise, denunciation, mystification and interpretation.”
The above quote is from the New York Times obituary. Some other noteworthy links...
From The Onion: Bunch of Phonies Mourn J.D. Salinger
Virginia Heffernan: "Mountain Man"
David Ulin on Salinger's gift of words and silence
How Salinger's NH neighbors had his back
Lillian Ross on "my long friendship with J.D. Salinger."
Kim Morgan: Salinger Inspired Cinema
Michiko Kakutani on teen angst and an author's alienation
A round-up of songs about Catcher in the Rye
A William Wiegand review from 1959: "The Knighthood of J.D. Salinger"
Secret J.D. Salinger Documentary Revealed
Posted by escapegrace at 11:11 PM
Tuesday, January 26, 2010
Today is the fifth anniversary of escapegrace. It's sort of amazing to think of all the opportunities I've had and the people I've met as a result of something as simple as a URL and some typing. The future of this blog is uncertain, but I hope it keeps going strong and grows into something even better than it's been. Thank you for reading!
Posted by escapegrace at 3:05 PM
Sunday, January 24, 2010
- Letterheady collects letterhead designs from the famous and infamous.
- "It's like saying John Lennon's favorite Beatle is Micky Dolenz."
- Siblings or Dating?
- A graffiti documentary possibly directed by Banksy is playing at Sundance.
- Awkward Stock Photos
- Take the Kandinsky questionnaire!
- The 50 Best Inventions of 2009
- The Playlist's Most Overlooked/Underappreciated Films of 2009
- Rhapsody's Most Anticipated Indie Albums of 2010
- Kate Winslet will play Cain's Mildred Pierce in an HBO miniseries.
- A Timeline of Film's Favorite High School Nerds
Posted by escapegrace at 11:26 AM
Thursday, January 21, 2010
Sunday, January 17, 2010
- Paste posts a Vic Chesnutt memorial playlist.
- In response to more loss, Beck is streaming Jay Reatard's cover of "Gamma Ray." (Scroll down.)
- At least, Jack White is still here and planning a solo album.
- Pride and Prejudice in emoticons
- A Fool in the Forest collects some Sylvia Plath-related video.
- More vintage poetry video from Anna Akhmatova
- Popular Websites as Vintage Books
- NYU is the recipient of The Kathleen Hanna Papers.
- Top 10 Places You Can't Go in the World
- I might have to see The Book of Eli, after all. (Not to mention The Imaginarium...Tom Waits abundance.)
Posted by escapegrace at 11:19 AM